Onward repairs contractor carrying out electrical testing

As your landlord, we are responsible for maintaining and carrying out a number of repairs to your home. However, there are some things that you will be responsible for, as set out in your Tenancy Agreement.

Our responsibilities

As a basic guide, we’re responsible for the repairs to the structure and exterior of your home.

This includes things like:

  • Roofs, walls, chimneys and chimney stacks (not sweeping)
  • Doors, window frames and catches, glazing and windowsills
  • Gutters, external pipes and drains
  • Painting and decorating
  • Pathway steps and other means of access

We’re also responsible for some repairs inside your home, such as:

  • Internal walls, floors, ceilings, doors, door frames and skirting boards
  • Baths, wash basins, toilets, sinks and kitchen units (but not toilet seats, tap washers, plugs and chains)
  • Electrical wiring, sockets and switches
  • Gas pipes, water pipes
  • Fitted heaters and fires, fireplaces and central heating installations
  • Communal areas and their electrical supplies

Your responsibilities

We expect you to keep your home in a safe and clean condition, and to make sure that gardens are kept neat and tidy.

You’re also responsible for fixing any damage that has not been caused by fair wear and tear.

Examples of repairs that you are responsible for include:

  • Replacing fuses, light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
  • Replacing toilet seats, tap washers, chains and plugs
  • Decorating the inside of your home
  • Replacing television aerials
  • Fixing appliances installed by you
  • Fixing damage caused by a visitor or a member of your household
  • Replacing keys or locks

Chargeable repairs

We will charge you for any repairs that are needed due to neglect, wilful damage or accidental damage by you, a member of the household or a visitor.

However, we won’t charge you if the damage is the result of being the victim of a criminal act, as long as you can provide us with a valid police crime reference number.

Other common enquiries


If you wish to make any alterations to your home, you must get permission from us first. Contact us on 0300 555 0600.

Pests and infestations

Issues with pests or infestations in your home are generally your responsibility. Contact your local council in the first instance as they may be able to help. If the pests are within communal areas of a scheme or affecting a number of properties in the area then we will investigate.