Improving waste management in our neighbourhoods
Onward is committed to working with customers, communities and partners to keep our schemes and neighbourhoods tidy, and we know that litter, waste and fly tipping is an important issue for many of our communities.
We have a role to play to deal with the consequences of litter and fly tipping and to challenge attitudes and behaviours towards our environment.
We currently spend over £100,000 of rental income on tackling fly tipping and litter each year. This is your money that we could better invest in new or existing homes and
communities across the region.
Onward has a role to play in promoting and providing effective recycling and waste management systems that work for our customers, especially those living in flats with communal areas and communal bins.
We also have a responsibility to remove dumped waste from our properties and help reduce fly tipping. Our role in tackling incidents of fly tipping and improving waste management varies depending on whether the incident:
- is a repeat or one off
- poses an immediate fire or environmental health risk
- relates to an individual property or scheme
- impacts a neighbourhood where Onward manages a significant number of homes.
The aim of our approach is to reduce the cost, scale and frequency of fly tipping incidents, improve our waste management and improve customer satisfaction.
We will work with residents, the local authority and other partners in each of our neighbourhoods to clearly define a collaborative approach to dealing with fly tipping, litter and waste management locally.
We have developed the following set of principles which guide our approach in each neighbourhood.
- Responsive – we will develop a set of service standards for dealing with fly tipping so our customers are clear about what to expect from us when they report an incident
- Collaboration – we will be well connected and work in partnership with local authorities, contractors and communities to effectively manage our neighbourhoods
- Communication – we will communicate clear and useful information to residents in relation to fly tipping and waste management
- Proactive – where there are repeat or wide ranging issues in a neighbourhood, we will put in place initiatives or long term measures in partnership with local communities
- Accountability – we will ensure that where issues arise, individuals are held accountable for their actions through a proactive but fair approach to enforcement
- Fit for purpose – we will ensure that waste management arrangements at our schemes and neighbourhoods are fit for purpose and help to prevent fly tipping
- Learning – we will learn from best practice and make use of new technologies in waste management where possible
To help us tackle fly tipping, we want to work with customers to identify hot spots and the criminals responsible.
To report an incident of fly tipping, please contact us on 0300 555 0600 or use the My Onward portal now.