Plans unveiled for new local centre in Murdishaw
Murdishaw residents have been invited to share views on plans for a new local centre in the heart of their neighbourhood.
A public consultation has been launched by Onward, who own and manage a number of properties across Murdishaw.
Onward has been working in partnership with Halton Borough Council, Riverside and a Community Design Team, a group of local residents, to understand their aspirations for the future of Murdishaw. In partnership with this Community Design Team, Onward has developed plans for a new local centre, which will support a range of activities for local people. Their vision is to create not just a standalone local centre but a vibrant campus culture that connects with the existing community centre, with planned activities across both spaces. In summary, the plans propose to:
- Open up the former boxing gym as a café, which will act as the main anchor in the centre of the site
- Create a new Market Square with hard standing, stalls and shipping containers that could support pop-up shops, makers markets and food events
- Deliver improvements to the green spaces around the centre, creating new areas for recreational use
- Develop a new learning hub, supporting training and skills opportunities to empower local people
- Connect with other environmental improvements that are taking place in Murdishaw
The plans will provide local people with somewhere to meet informally as a community, a space to learn and share skills, and participate in activities at different times of the day.
Onward has now launched a public consultation to understand how residents would use the local centre and what they think the area needs. The consultation will run from 15th December 2021 until 26th January 2022. During this time, residents can get in touch and share feedback in the following ways:
- Filling out a feedback form via Onward’s website – www.onward.co.uk/murdishaw-consultation
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to ask any questions about this project
- Alternatively, if residents have any difficulties accessing this information online, they can contact their Onward neighbourhood specialists.
Onward will be also hosting two exhibition events on Wednesday 15th December 1pm – 4pm on the Gorsewood path and Tuesday 11th January 2pm – 6pm outside the local chippy where residents can meet the team and view the plans.
Discussing the proposals, Bronwen Rapley Chief Executive at Onward, said:
“Onward is committed to an ongoing investment in Murdishaw to regenerate the area and deliver major economic and social benefits to the community for years to come. Our ambition is to create a thriving community space where residents can meet and find common things to do together. These proposals present an opportunity to deliver improved public spaces and a new local centre in the heart of Murdishaw.
The space has been carefully designed to reflect local people’s experiences, knowledge, and aspirations to ensure that Murdishaw residents are at the heart of this project. It has been fantastic to work with the Community Design Team and I cannot wait to hear what the rest of the community thinks about the plans. Local knowledge is invaluable to us, so I would encourage all residents to take part in the consultation.”