What if I want to make changes or adaptions to my home?

If you want to make any alterations to your home, you must get permission from us first. Please call us on 0300 555 0600. For minor adaptations you will need request this from the adaptations team either by calling the contact centre or via the My Onward Portal. Minor adaptations are small changes to your home such as grab rails, fixed shower seats, half steps and lever taps.

Major adaptations are larger changes to your home such as installing a level access shower, kitchen adaptations or ramps. For a major adaptation you will need an Occupational Therapy assessment from your local authority. An Occupational Therapist will work out the right adaptation for you and make recommendations to us.

For minor adaptations we aim to complete these within four weeks although for more complex works such as fitting bespoke rails this may take longer but we will keep you informed throughout the process. Where we receive an urgent referral from a professional to help someone return home from hospital, we aim to complete these within 48 hours.  

Major adaptations are a longer process and each local authority we work with has a different process. When your adaptation referral is received from the local authority, we will write to you explaining the process and keep you up to date with where your adaptation is up to.