Tax Credits

Tax Credits are ending – you will need to act soon!

We are currently in the transition period from benefits to Universal Credit (UC), called Managed Migration. Universal Credit is replacing 6 benefits called ‘legacy benefits. These include:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Income Support

Everyone of working age will have to move over to Universal credit by the end of 2024. However, you can move over sooner if you are better off on UC. If not, we advise you to wait for your UC Migration Notice Letter from the Government.

When you receive your UC migration letter you need to act. You will have 3 months to switch. Seek advice and make sure you don’t lose out.

You can call the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) Help to Claim Advisors on 0800 144 8 444. The CAB Help to Claim phone service is free to use and is open 8am to 6pm, Mon to Fri.

Universal Credit application – Citizens Advice

Some customers will be better off when they move across, but some will not. Be sure to get advice before you switch as you cannot go back once you have moved across. If you are working and not in receipt of any Universal Credit, but are unsure if you would qualify, the table below gives a few examples of different family circumstances and the levels at which you would still qualify for Universal Credit:

If you are still unsure and would like to talk to our Financial Inclusion Team for advice on a Universal Credit application, please call 0300 555 0600.